We all love to spoil our beloved hounds, but did you know that there are some human foods that are strictly off-limits? We have spoken to a couple of Australia’s best Vets about what foods you should avoid feeding your hound and what to do if your dog does get their paws on a food they shouldn’t!
Integrative Veterinarian Matthew Muir from The Natural Vet tells us the top three household food offenders for both seriousness and frequency of ingestion:
Chocolate – Dogs love it and will actively seek it out, chewing through gift-wrapping and sniffing chocolate out in bags. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. Dogs and cats metabolise it much slower than we do and toxic levels can accumulate, leading to vomiting, diarrhoea, fast heart rate, hyperactivity, seizures and sometimes death.
Cooked Bones – Greyhounds are the perfect height for countertop surfing. That great Aussie tradition of a BBQ may help us relax, however, it can catch us off guard. Cooking renders the chemical structure of bone indigestible and can present a serious hazard via blocking the digestive tract when ingested by a dog. Other notable BBQ risks are silicone meat package inserts, kebab skewers and corn cobs. Always remember that dogs can be tempted to go through the rubbish bin if left alone in search of discarded food scraps.
Chewing Gum – A health-conscious trend away from high sugar consumption may pose increased risks to your pets. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, toothpaste, sweets, some peanut butters and other foods. It can cause a potentially life-threatening drop in blood sugar levels, liver failure and bleeding disorders in dogs.
What To Do If Your Greyhound Eats Something It Shouldn’t
We asked Dr Shane Simpson of Karingal Veterinary Hospital what to do if you suspect that your dog has eaten poisonous food.
“That’s an easy one! IMMEDIATELY call a veterinarian and ask for assistance. Make sure you have the details of what the dog has ingested, how much they ingested, when it was ingested, and what signs the dog is showing if any. Common clinical signs of poisoning include tremors, hyperactivity, seizures, vomiting and excessive salivation.”
While it is important to make sure you’re feeding your hound a healthy diet approved by your vet, of course you want to spoil them from time to time! Before you give them a little taste of what is on your plate, just make sure it is safe for dogs. And if in doubt, check with your veterinarian.