Thank you for choosing to adopt a greyhound! Our adoption process is simple and it can often move very quickly. Occasionally we need some time to make sure that the right dog is with the right family, but it is all about getting the match right!
You can save the word version and type away on your computer, then save it to attach to an email. Or you can print out the PDF version to handwrite, the good old fashioned way to post it or scan and email it.
Attach your adoption questionnaire. And tell us a bit about your home life – family members, ages, any other pets, work hours of all members, type of house and yard arrangement, dog sleeping and exercise plan and your household’s lifestyle.This helps us to find you your perfect match!
If you don’t have access to email, then post it in to PO Box 477, Forestville, NSW 2087. Someone will get in touch and discuss the next few steps.
- We will review the info, get in touch and chat. We might suggest a few hounds that might suit your home and lifestyle, or if you have indicated you have seen a hound that interests you we will be able to tell you if that hound is a possible match for your application. We will arrange a house visit to ensure the living arrangements are suitable for a greyhound and to meet the rest of your family. We have volunteers everywhere so don’t worry about your location!
- A visit to see and meet the greyhound(s) you are interested in is essential, especially if you have other dogs. It is important everyone has a great meet and greet to be in the best position for a successful adoption. Sometimes it can be a visit to their foster home, or to our kennels located in Western Sydney. Make sure all your fmaily members come too – especially if you have kiddies.
We love it when the right hound goes to the right home and always try our best to make sure we set everyone up for success! If we advise that a hound you have shortlisted might not suitable for your circumstances it is all so everyone is a-ok 🙂 Just like humans, greyhounds all have different personalities and likes and dislikes. Some like small dogs, some don’t mind cats, some love children, and some don’t! We want your new family member to fit in as quickly and smoothly as possible – it’s all about finding your perfect match.
- Once all parties including the hound is happy, we will arrange for the greyhound to go “on trial” with your family for a minimum of 2 weeks, but longer trials are possible if you discuss it with us. All our greyhounds wear a basic collar but we do ask you to provide your own lead. We can also provide a muzzle and a coat for a small amount more just to cover our costs. We will ask you to complete a trial form for that particular hound if you are adopting, and agree to pay a deposit of $100 (if for some reason your trial doesn’t quite work out, this deposit is transferable to another hound, or refundable if you decide it just isn’t the right time for a dog or a greyhound isn’t for you. But we hope it doesn’t!).
Often greyhounds do not show their true personalities immediately especially if they have been in kennels or different foster situations. We would expect that during that time you keep your routine as normal as possible to give the dog the best chance to settle in. We would suggest avoiding a time when you are going away on holidays, about to move home, or have extra visitors. Sometimes it is ideal if the trial period can coincide with someone being home more than normal eg on leave, so the hound settles in and bonds with you.
During this time please keep in touch with us to let us know how you are going. We are happy to assist with any hiccups or queries along the way, including behaviour issues, suggestions for the best food to use, coats, bedding, exercising etc.
- When the trial period is complete and you wish to finalise the adoption, you can then transfer the remainder of the adoption fee and the cost of any other items such as muzzle and/or coat/s you picked up with your hound. You can pay via direct bank transfer using these details:
Account Name: Greyhound Rescue Inc
Account No: 524792379
Reference: [dogs GR name] adoption
Please send an accompanying email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your confirmation of adoption payment. We can send you the the C3A transfer of Ownership form and any vet certificates we may have.
Another lucky greyhound will have been saved and happily re-homed! Thank you so much!
- Please stay in touch.
Greyhound Rescue wants to be there to support you no matter how many months or years of adoption it has been. We LOVE updates and always welcome any questions or worries you might have. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch 🙂
Reference Material and General Advice
- In Home Re-Training Guide – from GreenHounds Australia
- Dogs n Kids Manual – produced by the Royal Melbourne Kids Hospital
- Greyhound Care Manual – from Recycled Racers of Colorado
- A Guide for the Care and Training of the Retired Racing Greyhound – from New Jersey Greyhound Adoption Program